Sunday, June 20, 2010

Recycling my dad's old desk

I thought it fitting for Father's Day to be the beginning of my transformation of my dad's old roll top desk.  It has been with him since he was a kid, and he is now in his early 70's.  When my brother, sister and I were growing up, it was always around....it became a place for my brother to paint his model planes/cars etc that he built.  It remained at my parents house and my sisters kids and my kids used it as a place to color, draw, etc.

Sooo....it has served at least 3 generations.  My dad asked me if I would like it for our son Zach's room, and I jumped at the chance to help it carry on in the family.  Well.....as any mom with a 3 year old knows, he is not kind to his furniture.  With in a month of having it here, he broke it.  The canvas type material that held the roll top pieces together had disintegrated.  So, I guess it wasn't really his fault...just bad timing! LOL.  So, I decided to take it apart and sand it and refinish it and give it a new stain.

After having it sanded down mostly, my sander broke, so it has been sitting in the corner of my room for months.

TODAY....I decided it will be MY desk, a place to write, read, whatever.....but it will be my space.

Here it is sanded down:
I am thinking a nice distressed white would be nice, no?  Kind of shabby chic?  I'll post pics when it is done!

2 comments:

  1. I just picked up a little coffee table at the Goodwill this weekend and I'm totally stuck on what to do with it. I'll be anxious to see what you do. I like your idea though, distressed white or cream, depending on other decor of course :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do need to choose the type of wood you want with your house, especially when you want to fit out the rest of your decor. A cherry or oak roll top desk would be perfect, especially since they have decorative appeal and long lasting.

    Antique Roll Top Desks

    ReplyDelete