Thursday, June 17, 2010

Memories....

Okay...feeling a little nostalgic tonight. 

This past week I spent with family in western PA to say goodbye to my grandma.  She was 102 when she passed away in April.  We had the memorial service this past weekend, and the whole family gathered together to say goodbye to an amazing woman.

She was tiny, but mighty.  She spent most of her life on a farm, working hard and doing what she had to.  She raised 2 wonderful daughters, who in turn raised 5 great kids.....all who carried on a part of her.  She was funny, shy, loving, tough, strong, dependable, just an overall great person.  Though life gave her ample reason to complain, she didn't.  She just kept living life, looking for the best in everything and everyone.  She still enjoyed the simple pleasures in life.  She was smart, compassionate, and kind.

My kids didn't have the pleasure of ever really knowing her.  Time and distance kept them from really spending any quality time with her.  I didn't get to spend the amount of time I would have liked to in the past decade or so due to the same reasons.  One thing that really struck me during the memorial service was the amount of great things people said about her.  I learned things about her that I didn't know before, and I saw in her a little bit of myself.

I guess it made me long to be more like her.  Sure I have plenty of people that I am friends with.  I would not say I lack in that department, and I have some amazing people in my life......it just made me long for something.  It made me long for a simple life.....one where I was happy with what I had,  and stopped longing for things that don't matter!!  Want what you have, and all of that.  She seemed to take whatever life threw at her and just rolled with it.

She was always busy until her health kept her from doing the things she wanted to do.  Yet when you asked her how she was, she just said..."Ohhhh, Not baaad!"  Never complaining, even though she was obviously in pain, or uncomfortable.  When age took from her the ability to read on her own, she didn't complain, she just found other ways to enjoy the joy of fiction.  When she was no longer able to get around easily, she didn't complain....she just took each day as it came, and remained positive and fun loving.

I have seen some of her traits in my kids.  I want to nourish them, and encourage them.  We named our middle son after her, and this past week we found that he shares more than just her name.  He has the same gentle spirit that she had, and he is a blessing every day.


I miss my grandma, and her spirit, but I find myself joyful in what she left behind.  She has 5 grand children and 5 great grandchildren that each carry a part of her within them.  I see it a little more each day, and I know that she lives on through them.  I took a part of the service to heart when the preacher said we should all be thankful for a part of her.  I am thankful for her love and laughter that still touch me.  Every memory of her gives me a moment of joy....sometimes even a chuckle.  If I can only be a fraction of the person she was, and carry on her gentle nature, then I will be truly blessed in this life.


I love you Grandma Tait, and I miss you.  I am so grateful for the time we were able to spend with you, and I know you are in a better place, where you are in no more pain, and you are reunited with Grandpa...dancing and laughing without the constraints of these mortal bodies.  I know I will see you again some day....where there will be no more tears or pain....just love and laughter.....just like you tried to live here.  God blessed us all for knowing you!

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment